Friday, October 3, 2014

A Student's Perspective- Avari in Australia



Its time again for another Student's Perspective! I know I enjoyed reading about Sierra's time abroad in Spain so much and I hope you did as well. This week we have Avari's perspective who studied abroad this past Spring in Newcastle, Australia. Yeah I know, I'm jealous too. Here is a little bit about her time abroad and her journey with Education Abroad. 
My name is Avari (sounds like Avery) and I studied abroad in Newcastle, Australia this past spring semester of 2014, for five months. I studied Health and Human Performance for roughly three and half months of the five months I was there. I lived in a small apartment building with other UW abroad students, as well as a few out-of-state students and international students. This was more of a unique experience than I honestly thought it would be. Australia is very similar to the United States, but there were enough subtle differences to make an impact. Vehicles drove on the other side of the road; I had to take a train to and from school every day for class; their accents are different; they had many slang words and lingos; and so many more other little things that really add up in the end! I was able to pet and hand-feed kangaroos, travel to Sydney numerous times, snorkel in the Great Barrier Reef, go to Hobbiton in New Zealand, travel solo and in groups, go to the ocean/beach anytime I wanted because it was a 15 minute walk from my apartment, etc. Another really great thing about my time abroad was that my mom was able to come and travel with me in Australia and New Zealand for the last two weeks I was there! I had a really great time and experience while abroad and I learned a lot about myself and I feel I grew into an even more independent person! I would highly recommend studying abroad, even if it’s for a shorter amount of time!



As you can tell from reading Avari's perspective this week it is very different from Sierra's and from even mine, but they are also so similar. You can go just about anywhere in the world with education abroad and have any major. The options are so vast. The experiences you have with education abroad  will range is such a large degree from petting a kangaroo in Australia to standing at the Cliffs of Moher in Ireland. You see that's what's so amazing about the world though, it has so much to offer you, so much for you to see and experience. In Avari's perspective this week, Sierra's last week and from mine we all talk about how independent this journey with education abroad has made us. Studying abroad makes you realize you can do things for yourself. It empowers you and makes you realize you are capable. If you can fly half way around the world on your own, live in a country that speaks a different language, book countless hostels and find your way then, I think you can do just about anything. 

Stay tuned for more student perspective's coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment